Saturday, July 27, 2013

Berlin - a Personal Story


The New Horizons Band Tour to Germany and Denmark was a lot of fun for me and for Chrystyna and I am grateful that spouses and friends of band members were allowed to come along.

Berlin was important to me personally because I got to see my cousin, Dr. Friedhelm Pedde and his wife.  They came to see the band's performance at the beer hall and we also got to go sightseeing with them in our free time, especially to the Pergamon museum for which Friedhelm, in his capacity as archeologist, has done a lot of work.

Friedhelm and his wife Brigitte lived very close to the Berlin Wall when it came down in 1989.  Years ago, I asked him to write a personal account about the experience and to share some of the hundreds of photographs he took over the space of two days.  I discuss this briefly here:  http://atavist.blogspot.ca/2009/11/fall-of-berlin-wall-20th-anniversary.html.  In my blog post (from 2009) there is a link to a PDF file which includes Friedhelm's story.

I hope you find the story of interest.

And  . . .   sign me up for the next tour!

Sieg Pedde (husband of oboist Chrystyna)

5 comments:

  1. Sorry, I neglected to activate a hyper-link in my post. Simply copy the URL and paste it in your browser to make it work. Sieg Pedde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this fascinating story!
    Alan and Judy T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Glad you found it of value . . .

      Delete
  3. I magically made the link work. Yay!
    - Adam. <3

    ReplyDelete